How To Report Pesticide Incidents in Scotland
Information on how to go about reporting pesticide incidents
Animals (Wildlife & Pets)
Incidents of suspected poisoning of animals in Scotland involving;
- Wild birds and mammals
- Companion animals (pets, working animals)
- Bees and other pollinators ie beneficial insects
- Suspected baits/suspicious substances
should be notified as soon as possible to WIIS-Scotland.
- WIIS free phone number (0800 321 600). This number is linked to SASA during working hours and out-of-hours mesages can be recorded. Alternatively, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scottish Government Rural Payments & Inspections Division (RPID) - Area Office
- Police Scotland Wildlife Crime Liaison Officers
- If you feel that you would rather remain anonymous, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Samples may be submitted to the scheme via
- the local veterinary service of SAC Consulting Veterinary Services, a division of Scotland's Rural College (SRUC)
- submission by officials from the nearest Scottish Government Rural Payments & Inspections Division (RPID) Area Office
- submissions from Police Scotland Wildlife Crime Liaison Officers
- your Veterinary Practice who can also refer the carcase or relevant samples to the local office of SAC Consulting Veterinary Services
- direct submission to the SASA laboratory
The Health and Safety Executive's Chemicals Regulations Division provides information on pesticides, biocides and WIIS UK.
Environmental contamination incidents in Scotland should be reported to the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) Pollution Hotline 0800 80 70 60.
General information on reporting other types of pesticide incidents is available from HSE.