Assistant Zoology Manager
Research interests/Areas of expertise
- Taxonomic identification of winged aphids and psyllids
- Taxonomic identification Potato Cyst Nematodes
- Honey bee health – pest and disease diagnostics
- I started work at SASA in 2005 as a Laboratory Diagnostician in the Virology & Zoology Branch; assisting with sample preparation and processing in the areas of Nematology, Entomology and Virology.
- During this time I gained specialisms in potato cyst nematodes (PCN), winged aphid identification and honey bee health, and latterly have added the identification of European psyllids to my area of expertise - providing species identification for the SG funded CRF Psyllid project in collaboration with Rothamsted Research, the Natural History Museum, and the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
- In support of our role in honey bee health, SASA keeps a small number of beehives for training and educational purposes, and I have been apiary manager since their arrival in 2013.
- In 2015 I gained the post of Assistant Zoology Manager in the Virology and Zoology Branch, managing the day to day workload of the Entomology laboratory during the summer season, and assisting with the management of the Nematology laboratory during the winter months
- In 2017 I took on the additional role of Area Quality Manager for the Zoology department.