Dr Rosalind McHugh
Potato Pathology Manager
Research interests/Areas of expertise
- Fungal disease diagnostics
- Potato tuber diseases
- Biocontrol of plant pathogens
- Field trial design and analysis
- Principal Investigator for AHDB funded project “Alternative approaches for healthy PBTC mini-tuber production (2017-2019)"
- I became a Potato Pathologist in 2010 and Potato Pathology Manager in 2014. As such, I support the Scottish seed potato industry through managing potato disease diagnostics, research and health monitoring. I also run courses in tuber disease identification for Agricultural Officers and trade delegates.
- I came to SASA in 2005 as a Research Bacteriologist, investigating the risk posed to the seed potato industry by the brown rot pathogen, Ralstonia solanacearum. Since then I have held a number of posts including GM Officer, developing molecular tests for the identification of GM elements and Horticultural Pathologist, working with quarantine diseases such as Potato Wart and Sudden Oak Death.
- From 1997, I was based at the School of Agriculture, University of Aberdeen, firstly completing a PhD and then working as a Research Fellow, developing biocontrol systems through laboratory studies and field trials for pathogens such as Botrytis cinerea and Phytophthora infestans.
- MSc degree in Crop Protection, University of Aberdeen (1996).
- BSc (Hons) degree in Horticulture, University of Strathclyde (1995).
Alternative growing media strategies for mini-tuber production. Proceedings Crop Protection in Northern Britain 2020. :235-240. . 2020.
In vitro evaluation of two bacterial biological control agents against potato pathogens. Proceedings Crop Protection in Northern Britain 2020. :265-268. . 2020.
Development of new approaches for PBTC mini-tuber production. Crop Protection in Northern Britain 2018. :193-196. . 2018.
Pathogens associated with pit rot in potatoes. Proceedings Crop Protection in Northern Britain 2016. :pp289-294. . 2016.
Potato brown rot: a threat to Scottish seed potatoes? Proceedings Crop Protection in Northern Britain 2008. :193-198. . 2008.