Dr Jason Sumner-Kalkun
Molecular Entomologist - Project Leader
Research interests/Areas of expertise
- Hemipteran crop pests
- Insect vectors of plant pathogens
- Microbiome, soil, plant and animal associated microbe
- Integrated Pest Management/Biological Control Strategies
- 2018- Present Project leader of the psyllid team contributing towards multinational projects including POnTE and PhyLib II. Both involved in research on “Candidatus Liberibacter solanacearum”, Phytoplasma, and their psyllid vectors
- 2015-2018 Joined SASA on an Industry led R&D project on biofumigation and novel control methods for PCN suppression/ suppressive soils
- 2010- 2014 PhD CASE Studentship in Plant Sciences (funded by BBSRC and CERTIS BCP). Research into microbiomes of Phytoseiidae predatory mites and host interactions. University of Reading
- 2007-2010 BSc Zoology. University of Reading
PCR-based diagnostic methods for ‘Candidatus Liberibacter solanacearum’ – Review. Plant Protection Science. 55(4):229-242. . 2019.
Ixodes ricinus, an occasional phoront on necrophagous and coprophagous beetles in Europe. Experimental and Applied Acarology. 65(2):243–248. . 2015.