Dr Alexandra Schlenzig
Senior Plant Pathologist,
Research interests/Areas of expertise
- Diagnosis of horticultural plant diseases using molecular, serological and classical techniques
- Risk assessments, surveillance planning and outbreak management for quarantine and regulated non-quarantine diseases
- Developing and evaluating disease testing methods
- Identification, management and epidemiology of Phytophthora diseases
- Susceptibility testing for Potato Wart Disease
- Soft fruit diseases
- Joined SASA in 2002.
- 2000-2002: Postdoctoral research scientist, Syngenta Crop Protection, Switzerland. Genotyping of Phytophthora infestans (Potato Late Blight), molecular studies into fungicide resistance of Septoria tritici (Leaf blotch disease on wheat).
- 1998-2000: Postdoctoral research scientist in Forest Pathology, Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich. Development of PCR based detection and identification methods for Phytophthora diseases on forest trees.
- 1994-1997: PhD project on Phytophthora infestans, Technical University of Munich